Our Heritage - The Finest Federal Style Design
The Federalist was founded in 1995 with a desire to share our passion for custom hand-crafted lighting, furniture and mirrors inspired by The Federalist-era, which are rich in decorative details.
Our journey began with dedicated research and extensive travels around the world in search of the finest specialized craftsmen, soulfully dedicated to the time-honored techniques in creating hand-finished, one-of-a-kind statement pieces. These master craftsmen, some from fourth or fifth generations of craftsmen, understand the work is labor-intensive. Yet, it is a labor of love. For a Federalist piece, is instantly recognizable by our meticulous hand-craftsmanship and hand rubbed finishes.
Every lighting fixture is individually-produced and exquisitely hand-crafted from start to finish. It’s a process so thrilling to witness; a craftsman hand-forging natural brass and copper; casting molds, cutting out flat patterns and wielding tin snips, until the ideal form has been achieved. Step-by-step, layer by layer, he begins the oil rubbing regimen required to achieve an exceptional period finish. Classic brass, antique brass, bronze, silver plate, nickel, pewter, tole, longterne, weathered copper and verdigris finishes are painstakingly achieved within our lighting collection.
This is what it takes to create a FEDERALIST lighting fixture you will want to treasure for the rest of your life and future generations—and the same holds true for our hand-finished furniture and heirloom-quality mirrors.
We use only the finest materials in our Federalist-style furniture. We use genuine mahogany, tiger maple, walnut and cherry wood and every board is hand-selected for uniformity and degree of figure.
Original 18th-century construction and finishing techniques are replicated into every furniture piece we make:
- Joinery methods include dovetail, mortise, and tenon, as originally practiced during the 18th century.
- Pegging is done to add strength to stress points.
- Surfaces are hand-planed and scraped to replicate the finest period antiques.
- Intricate inlay and hand-carving are Federalist craftsmen specialties.
- Finishes with unparalleled depth and distinction with many our craftsmen employing a 22-step process, including successive acts of hand-sanding and hand-rubbing.
- Painted finishes are peerless as well. Traditional formulas of milk paint are applied and hand-rubbed to allow undercoats to reappear, or they’re specially-treated to create a unique crackle finish.
For more than 21 years, our customers have looked to us as the world’s premiere provider of authentic 18th-century inspired designs. We are committed to continuing to exemplify the highest standard of quality and craftsmanship.
Thank you for your continued patronage,
Jennifer Charlebois Martin